Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Welcome to Literally the Best Blog Ever

Now, of course I haven't viewed every single blog out there, so calling this the best blog ever does seem to be a bit of a hyperbole. And that's okay. What's not okay is calling this "literally" the best blog out there, because that word removes the statement from mere hyperbole into indesputable fact. And I don't think that's what anyone wants. I certainly don't.

Welcome to Literally the Best Blog Ever, where I will address offenses to the English language perpetrated (and perpetuated) by literally everyone you know. Hopefully these posts will be entertaining and educational. Maybe you already know all about all of the issues I will address. But maybe you will be surprised at times. Maybe reading this blog will allow you to write better emails, or blogs, or poems, or letters to your pen-pal. In any case, sit back, relax, and enjoy the free donuts. (See, I told you it was the best, didn't I?) Come for the donuts, stay for the language tips. Literally the Best.

5 comments:

  1. Do language tips include spelling tips, or are those not considered offenses to the Enlish language?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question, Crispin! I won't really be addressing spelling in this blog, though some would say incorrect spelling is indeed a serious offense. But my view is that spelling issues reveal a lack of attention to detail, where as usage issues underscore a deeper misunderstanding of concepts. To spell correctly, you just need to memorize whatever word you're trying to spell. For proper usage, you need to understand meaning and context, both of which will be covered here, in this blog. Plus, free donuts. (alternatively: doughnuts, but not on this blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Follow up for Crispin: oops. I didn't see my typo with "Enlish". Ha ha! I am abashed. It has been fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry my snarky comment was not easily understood. Perhaps, I should have written, "are those not considered offenses to the Enlish (sic) language." By the way, what is the history of (sic)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easy. According to dictionary.com, sic is latin for "thus" or "so", and I'm inclined to believe them.

    ReplyDelete